I made because my boyfriend’s parents were visiting. The dessicated coconut adds an unusual texture to the cupcakes, with the glace cherries giving a welcome burst of sweetness every so often.
- 115g stork margarine
- 115g caster sugar
- 2tbsp milk
- 2 free range eggs
- 85g self raising flour
- 1sp baking powder
- 85g dessicated coconut + more to decorate
- 115g glace cherries, rinsed, dried and quartered
- 12 glace cherry halves, to decorate (in practice, a 200g tub is about right to do everything in this recipe)
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Beat the stork, caster sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder until smooth
- Add the milk
- Fold in the dessicated coconut
- Add the glace cherries and integrate gently
- Divide between the cupcake cases and cook for 20-25 minutes
- Whilst it’s cooking, make up the buttercream – beat together the softened butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until you are left with a smooth mixture.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool, then decorate with the buttercream, a sprinkling of dessicated coconut and a cherry on top.